Since the year is coming to a close, I wanted to start thinking about books that I really wanted to get to this year, but sadly didn’t. All the novels on this list are high priority reads that I am ashamed that I haven’t read yet! Writing a post about it will help me make sure that I’m reading these!
1. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak – I have heard nothing but good things about this book, and I love World War II novels. Also, the fact that it’s narrated by Death is extremely intriguing. However, I have heard that it ruins your emotions, so I think that’s been making me hesitant.
2. Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen – As an avid fantasy fan, I’m a bit embarrassed not to have read this yet. Again, I’ve heard so many rave reviews and EVERYONE loves it. I need to read it as soon as possible!
3. The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness – I read A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness and absolutely adored it. I really want to pick up more of his writing, but I’ve tried reading this twice and put it down each time. Maybe I need to do a buddy read to keep motivated, but I really want to try this series out again!
4. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss – I cannot believe I haven’t read this yet! From all the reviews and descriptions, this book has everything I want in it, but I don’t think my mass market paperback version is being very encouraging especially with this huge book. I MUST read this in 2016!
5. The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood – Atwood is one of those must-read authors and I haven’t read anything by her! I’ve always been intrigued by this novel of hers, so I want to start here.
6. Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch – Again, as a fantasy lover, I need to read this! I have heard that there is an amazing bromance in this series along with thieves and other fantasy goodness! I can’t wait for this fun ride.
7. The Opposite of Loneliness by Marina Keegan – I’ve heard nothing but amazing things about this essay and story collection, and the circumstances behind this book are heartbreaking. I want to branch out the type of reading I do next year, and I definitely want to start with this!
8. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee – I know. *hides face* Everyone reads this in 8th grade, but somehow I never picked it up in grade school. It goes without saying that I need to read this classic.
9. The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima – I am starting to feel like a parrot now. But this is yet another amazing fantasy series by an amazing author that I have not read yet.
10. The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater – I read Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater and disliked it, so I think that has been making me hesitant about picking this up. Despite everyone saying that this and her Raven boys series being different and significantly better, I’m still feeling reluctant. However, I really want to give her writing another try!
11. Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater – *see above* I’ve actually tried reading this and got 50 pages in but stopped for some reason… I really do want to see what all the hype is about though!
12 – 13 . Well of Ascension and Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson – I read and adored Mistborn. I adore Brandon Sanderson’s writing. I just need to find time to get on this!
14. Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys – I think I haven’t read this yet because of the same reason as to why I haven’t read The Book Thief yet. I heard that this will break my heart; I need to be ready!
15. Cress by Marissa Meyer – I loved Scarlet, and I have heard that this is the best book in the series. Plus, I LOVED Captain Thorne, and he is the main love interest in this novel! I need to finish this and Winter in 2016!
16. City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare – Even though the series is not my favorite, I enjoyed it! I have read the first 5 books of TMI and all 3 Infernal Devices books. There is no reason that I have not finished this series yet, especially with the TV show coming out next year!
Those are my must-reads of 2016! If you are interested in doing a buddy read with me for any of these, please let me know! I would love to do one.
What are some of the books that you need to get to in 2016?
Thanks for reading,